Re: Still wondering about random numbers... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dr. Evil
Subject Re: Still wondering about random numbers...
Date
List pgsql-general
> Isn't /dev/random best used for seeding the random number generator,
> rather than for getting random number?

It is best used for any situation when quality random numbers are
needed.  This includes seeding, and in some cases it may also include
generating session keys and other things.  It's good to have a
choice.  Right now I have a lot of pl/pgsql which calls plain old
RANDOM() to generate session keys, and that is not good.  Before I
launch this thing, I will need to find a way of getting better random
numbers.  If anyone has created a function like that for PG, please
mail me, because I need it.