Re: Posting Again... Please Help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Posting Again... Please Help
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 12:09:54PM +0530, Kapil Tilwani wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         This is the second time I am sending this request... I need to
>         print barcode labels from my application (well, it could be more
>         in line with an applet... it is miniscule, really)...  Could I get
>         some logic for printing the same, which could be also readable
>         from a scanner ???  I visited some sites as guided out by the
>         members of this group but they were all paid fonts.  I cannot
>         afford to spend that...  I am getting 3,000 Rs. (75$) only for
>         getting this printing job done... and the fonts cost at least 40
>         $... and my coding would still be required to be done extra.

You have to pay money for those fonts? Wow. Anyway, what I once did was pull
one of the perl modules that does barcodes. There are loads of them. They
have a function that takes a strings and returns a list of ones and zeros
that represent the barcode.

From here I used that list to make HTML output using two images, one 1x1
white pixel and a 1x1 black pixel. Print that and it worked fine. (Well,
with my cuecat anyway :)

With those perl modules they can also (using the GD library) spit out images
in various formats that also show the barcode. If you want to be really
tricky, you can even generate postscript to do it.

Anyway, hope this helps,

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/