Re: Microsoft SQL Server Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wsheldah@lexmark.com
Subject Re: Microsoft SQL Server Replication
Date
List pgsql-general

It's been a little while since I used MS SQL Server, but I wonder whether you
could use SQL Server's replication facilities and make PostgreSQL a subscriber?
Is there some sort of Data Transformation wizard or engine that can be set up to
do the data conversion from SQL Server to Postgresql on the fly?  I seem to
remember it being fairly powerful.

If you have money to spend, you might also look at third party replication
products.  At one place I worked, we used DataMirror (www.datamirror.com) for
two-way replication between a MS SQL Server database and an old OS/400 database.
It was a major pain to set up, and again to upgrade, but in between those times
it worked very well, giving us almost real-time replication.  We could have
configured it for nightly batch updates or any other schedule as well.  I've
also heard good things about Data Junction (www.datajunction.com).  Although it
doesn't support Postgresql explicitly, you might be able to get it to work
through its ODBC interface.  And of course there are others.

Does anyone know of a similar third-party replicaiton tool that explicitly
supports PostgreSQL?  I think it would be great PR if we could start getting
included on these people's lists of "major databases we support," not to mention
providing us with more solutions from which to choose.

Hope this helps,

Wes Sheldahl

Nate Carlson <natecars%real-time.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on 07/20/2001
06:10:57 PM