Re: psql -l - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: psql -l
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:57:35AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> will trillich <will@serensoft.com> writes:
> > $ psql -V
> > No database specified
>
> This seems awfully fishy, since (a) there is no such error message
> anywhere in 7.1, and (b) I don't get that behavior out of 7.1:
>
> $ ~postgres/version71/bin/psql -V
> psql (PostgreSQL) 7.1.2
> contains readline, history support
> Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2001, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
> Portions Copyright (c) 1996 Regents of the University of California
> Read the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the
> usage and distribution terms.
> $
>
> Perhaps you are invoking psql through some kind of wrapper script that
> is doing the wrong thing?

i'm wondering now if this may be a debian packaging mishap...
or maybe i've got psql v7.0.3 trying to work with postmaster
7.1, but that doesn't seem likely...

at any rate -- maybe this session with 'strings' might help you
see identify what's goofing up here.

--
I'd concentrate on "living in the now" because it is fun
and on building a better world because it is possible.

will@serensoft.com
Script started on Wed Jul 18 12:21:42 2001

$ which psql
/usr/bin/psql

$ ls -l `which psql`
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root   10 Jul  1 22:28 /usr/bin/psql -> pg_wrapper

$ psql -V
No database specified

$ psql -V ed
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.1
contains readline, history, multibyte support
Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2001, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Portions Copyright (c) 1996 Regents of the University of California
Read the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the
usage and distribution terms.

$ strings `which psql` | grep -i speci
No database specified

$ strings `which psql` | wc -l
     74

$ strings `which psql`
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
__gmon_start__
libc.so.6
strcpy
getopt_long
getenv
pclose
malloc
optarg
popen
rindex
fprintf
__deregister_frame_info
getdelim
optind
setenv
__strdup
execv
strncat
memset
stderr
exit
_IO_stdin_used
__libc_start_main
__register_frame_info
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.0
PTRh
Vj=3DWj
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/
/var/lib/postgres/data
PGDATA
/usr/lib/postgresql/lib
PGLIB
5432
PGPORT
pg_wrapper
pg_wrapper cannot be run as itself, but only through a link
whose name is that of the real program to be run.
psql
help
no-psqlrc
expanded
password
version
variable
username
table-attr
tuples-only
single-line
single-step
record-separator
pset
port
output
list
html
host
field-separator
file
echo-hidden
echo-queries
dbname
command
no-align
echo-all
aAc:d:Eef:F:h:Hlo:p:P:qR:sStT:uU:v:VWxX?
PGDATABASE
Could not execv %s
No database specified
env - /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv