Re: autoincrement??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: autoincrement???
Date
List pgsql-general
You could either try:

CREATE TABLE address (
  address_id int SERIAL,
  street VARCHAR(40),
  zipcode INT,
  city VARCHAR(40),
  country VARCHAR(40)
);

Or you could do the same thing yourself manually with:

CREATE sequence address_id_seq;

CREATE TABLE address (
  address_id int PRIMARY KEY DEFAULT
nextval('address_id_seq'),
  street VARCHAR(40),
  zipcode INT,
  city VARCHAR(40),
  country VARCHAR(40)
);

I personally like the latter as it is slightly more
flexible.  Plus, I often create large SQL scripts to
rebuild the database schema when I am developing and
the longer way reminds me that I need to drop the
sequence before creating the table :).

Jason