Re: Toast question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Toast question
Date
List pgsql-general
Taral wrote:
> I noticed that toast tables seem to accumulate in my database, even if
> they're empty. Is there a way to get postgresql to remove (or not
> create) unused toast tables?

    What  do  you  mean with "accumulate"? They (and their index)
    should exist exactly as long as the table they belong to.

    The system creates a  toast  table  automatically  for  every
    table,  where  toasted  values  could  possibly  occur in the
    future (means any table using any of the variable sized  base
    data  types).  The  only  chance you have for now would be to
    disable the toast feature in the pg_type  entries  for  those
    datatypes you use before creating your user tables.

Jan