Re: can we write to a flat file from Postgresql procedure - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: can we write to a flat file from Postgresql procedure
Date
List pgsql-sql
R Vijayanath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found your name in the Postgresql web site.
>
> It would be great if you can tell me if I can write a
> procedure that can write the output to the OS(Linux
> OS) file.
>
> Can you assist me on this if there is a way to do it.
>
> We are using Postgresql 7.1 running in Linux Redhat
> 7.1.
   In  version  7.1  is  a  procedural language PL/TclU. It's an   unrestricted (and thus untrusted) version of PL/Tcl.
Meaning,  since  it's  possible  to do any sort of OS level access from   within the backend under  the  postgres  UNIX
user-ID,  only   Postgres superusers can create functions in that language.

   That's  the  only  choice other than C you have. There are no   plans yet to modify PL/pgSQL in that direction.

> Thanks in Advance.
   You're welcome.

Jan