Re: Multi-Languages support application - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Multi-Languages support application
Date
List pgsql-general
> I am new to postgresql. Right now, we have an application written for US
> customer. The application is written in Java and using postgresql 7.0.3. Can
> you tell me what are the steps to take in order to make the postgresql 7.0.3
> stores both English and Japanese characters? Thanks!

First, you'd better to upgrade to 7.1.2. It's JDBC driver correctly
handle different character sets. I think 7.1.2's JDBC driver could
also work with 7.0.3 server, but I'm not sure.

Second, build your PostgreSQL installation with
--enable-multibyte. Then create a database:

createdb -E EUC_JP

where EUC_JP is a character set for Japanse. Don't mind. EUC_JP
happily coexits with English characters. In other word, EUC_JP is a
superset of ASCII.
--
Tatsuo Ishii