Re: timestamp to int - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: timestamp to int
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 09:22:25PM +0200, Tomas Berndtsson wrote:
> "Mitch Vincent" <mvincent@cablespeed.com> writes:
>
> > SELECT EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM TIMESTAMP '2001-02-16 20:38:40');
> >
> > -- and you can replace the timestamp string with the name of a timestamp
> > column.
> >
> > The above is in the manual, BTW.
>
> Is there a way to do it the other way around, from an integer to a
> timestamp?

of course not. don't be silly.

certainly not date_part or to_char or to_date. they're not
mentioned in the docs, either, so don't bother looking.
(think of the time you'll save.)

in particular, on my debian system, you wouldn't look in
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc/html/postgres/postgres.htm
and you wouldn't do

    cd /usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc/html/postgres
    grep -i epoch *

that would be bad.

--
I'd concentrate on "living in the now" because it is fun
and on building a better world because it is possible.

will@serensoft.com