Re: About pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: About pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
Jason Earl wrote:

  >It looks like setting the PGUSER and PGPASSWORD
  >environment variables does the trick.  I don't know
  >where that is in the documentation (PGUSER is in the
  >psql man page, but I wasn't able to find PGPASSWORD).
  >
  >So something like:
  >
  >PGUSER='postgres'
  >PGPASSWORD='secret'
  >export PGUSER PGPASSWORD
  >
  >pg_dump -h mydatahost mydatabase -t mytable
  >
  >Seems work just like you would expect.

However, this is not secure, because the e output format option to ps can be
used to inspect the environment, thus revealing the password.

     "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath
      anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath
      sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach
      deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight
      to the blind, to set at liberty them that are
      bruised..."         Luke 4:18