Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general

> So does this impact Postgresql's performance on Windows as well?  I think Apache
> had to rewrite their Windows port to use threads instead of processes before
> they got decent performance on that platform.  Any chance of Postgresql doing
> that sort of thing?  Not that I'm asking for the change; I'd just as soon use
> this as one more reason to keep running it on linux.  :-)

Again, a PostgreSQL topic...

Going with threads is a major issue and not one we would do lightly.
The significant issue is that we may gain  on certain platforms like
NT and maybe Solaris, but I am unsure about the others.  We may lose on
the others and it is hard to make both a threaded and non-threaded
version of the backend.  Yes, I know it can be done but is it worth the
effort is the question.

There is a TODO item with email about threads that you can review.