Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Molter
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 11:22:00AM -0400, Alex Pilosov wrote:
: Possible. How many concurrent connections you have? How many postgresql
: processes you have running?

We have anywhere from 10-50 processes concurrently using the database
at any given time.  One process is running a join with about 9 tables
in it approximately once every 1-2 seconds.  The other processes are
updating data into three tables.

It's definitely related to indexing (and I think someone else posted
that the index space doesn't get freed, which could result in more work
for the OS and that it was on the TODO list).  I just dropped and
recreated the indices on the most problematic of the tables (the one
that has just recently been taking 1-2 minutes to vacuum) and kernel
CPU usage went from about 17-20% to 4%.

* Philip Molter
* DataFoundry.net
* http://www.datafoundry.net/