Re: Using the extract() function in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kristis Makris
Subject Re: Using the extract() function in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 27 Jun 2001 16:04:28 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> writes:
> > 2. bad oid reference - even if we did recreate the table, the reference
> > to it is compiled in after the first run. Don't see a way around this one.
>
> You could work around that by making all the queries referencing the
> temp table be built up as strings and EXECUTE'd, rather than just
> writing them in-line in the plpgsql code.  Pretty grotty but it might
> serve for now.  Eventually plpgsql needs to have a way to discard
> query plans that have been obsoleted by DDL changes.
>
>                       regards, tom lane

Good point, but this approach might not be able to handle all the
queries required to be executed. In particular the EXECUTE of SELECT ...
INTO is not implemented yet, as of Postgres 7.1.2. Any thoughts on when
this feature will be implemented? 7.1.x ? 7.x ?