Re: Announcing Postgresql backup script. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Mercer
Subject Re: Announcing Postgresql backup script.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 01:04:41PM +1000, Grant wrote:
> > > I have written a simple bourne shell script which performs all backup
> > > functions, but no restore at this point.
> >
> > ah, isn't that like building a really fast car with no brakes?
>
> This car has brakes, but they're not so easy to use just yet.

i'm glad you caught the humour intended.  i forgot the 8^)

> Volunteering? :)

not at this point.

> To restore just do the following:
>
> [postgres@linux 26-06-2001]$ /server/pgsql/bin/dropdb -h localhost binary_data
> DROP DATABASE
> [postgres@linux 26-06-2001]$ /server/pgsql/bin/createdb -h localhost binary_data
> CREATE DATABASE
> [postgres@linux 26-06-2001]$ gunzip 12:00-postgresql_database-binary_data-backup.gz
> [postgres@linux 26-06-2001]$ psql -h localhost binary_data < 12:00-postgresql_database-binary_data-backup
> You are now connected as new user postgres.
> CREATE...

i haven't looked at the scripts (and probably should before commenting further)
but, alas, a few beers makes me bold.

this looks alot like what i would do with:

backup:

pg_dump dbname | gzip > /backup/`date +%Y-%m-%d`.gz

restore:

dropdb dbname
createdb dbname
zcat /some/YYYY-MM-DD.gz | psql -q dbname

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim@reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]