Re: OT: Apache::Session::DBI vs postgresql? --help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: OT: Apache::Session::DBI vs postgresql? --help
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 10:59:11AM -0400, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> Apache::Session is a generic class to store a session in some place and
> store locking information of session in another place. You can plug in the
> classes which detail where the session is stored/locked.

sentence one, i grok. sentence two i sorta suspect, but do not
comprehend.

> Apache::Session::DBIStore is apparently broken for postgres (due to length
> issue). I whined once to maintainer about it, but he was concerned with
> backwards compatibility and unwilling to change it. But its outdated
> anyway, and you are supposed to use Apache::Session::Store::* classes.
>
> The one you are supposed to use is Apache::Session::Store::Postgres, and
> it should work. There's no 8k limit in postgres 7.1 on row length.

<ignorance level="alarmingly embarrassing"> HOW? </ignorance>

i've been studying perl modules for several months and
it's still giving me the heebie-jeebies, nightmares, the works.

from looking at the Apache::Session::Store::Postgres code, it
sure looked like what i was after, as you suggest -- but how do i
tell Apache::Session to use that instead of A:S:DBIStore?

the manual sez--

    IMPLEMENTATION
           The way you implement Apache::Session depends on what you
           are trying to accomplish.  Here are some hints on which
           classes to use in what situations

           Single machine *nix Apache
               Use DBIStore and SysVSemaphoreLocker

now if they'd tell me HOW (or someone shows me that they indeed
have done so) i'd get started. :)

--
I figure: if a man's gonna gamble, may as well do it
without plowing.   -- Bama Dillert, "Some Came Running"

will@serensoft.com