Re: ORDER BY what? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: ORDER BY what?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 11:19:31AM +0300, Mart?n Marqu?s wrote:
> I have a quite complex select query on postgres (obviously :-) ) using PHP
> (which is not the problem at the moment) which has some text searches using
> LIKE.
> My question is: "How can I write an ORDER BY statment so that it's ordered by
> the amount of matches it gets?"
> Is this posible without getting ichy with the programing?

<guess>

not likely. :) sounds like programming is gonna be
required.

you may be better off with some of the "contrib" features
including full-text-index (of which i have no working
knowledge). or a fancy pl/pgsql function. or a mod_perl glue
layer to coordinate your results...

</guess>

and using LIKE can be a serious performance drag if you use the
leading percent: "...LIKE '%this%'..." can't use any indexes
so it'll scan the whole database stem to stern. if you can stick
with "...LIKE 'this%'..." it'll at least be able to use the

I figure: if a man's gonna gamble, may as well do it
without plowing.   -- Bama Dillert, "Some Came Running"

will@serensoft.com