Re: Apparent deadlock for simultaneous sequential scans - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From bruc@stone.congenomics.com (Robert E. Bruccoleri)
Subject Re: Apparent deadlock for simultaneous sequential scans
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear Tom,

> pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
> > Apparent deadlock for simultaneous sequential scans
>
> > However, if more than one application is run at once, the performance
> > deteriotates drastically.
>
> So is it a deadlock, or a slowdown?  How many is "more than one"?

With two processors running the same query, it appears to be a
slowdown.  When I look at the system calls, the backends were
executing about one read per second. With six processors running the
same query, it appeared to be a deadlock -- no I/O's were being issued
over the time that I watched.

"More than one" means two or more.

Thanks. --Bob

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D.      | Phone: 609 737 6383                |
| President, Congenomics, Inc.     | Fax:   609 737 7528                |
| 114 W Franklin Ave, Suite K1,4,5 | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                     | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534             |                                    |