Re: Re: why unsigned numbers don't exist ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julien Jehannet
Subject Re: Re: why unsigned numbers don't exist ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:22, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> Julien Jehannet <Julien.Jehannet@SecurityKeepers.com> wrote:
> > I am newbie with PostgreSQL and I ask myself if it's possible to have
> > unsigned numbers.
>
> As far as I know, there is no separate data type for unsigned numbers, but
> you can of course use CHECK constraints like
>
>             age       INTEGER      CHECK (age >= 0),
>
> (see http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node132.html).

Thanks but in fact, I don't want to test if a number is just positive, I would use the whole
range of an int4 from 0 to (2147483647*2).
For example, if I use a serial, the range is between 0 and (2147483647*2).
(humm, it may be possible to start the sequence with -2147483647 but I don't
test).

Well, this is my true problem:
I have converted my date format into the unix time because I have a lot of basic tests to do with the data.
Normally, a unsigned int4 is only needed but, like it's signed, I must to use a int8 or a NUMERIC(10).

Do you think my method is stupid or have some good best practices to propose
me.

Thanks,

jul

P.S. Sorry for my poor english...

--
(work)    Julien.Jehannet at SecurityKeepers.com
(home)    jhanet at caramail.com
'Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy but socially dead.'
  Animaniacs, série burlesque américaine