Re: template1, can there be a template2/3/4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: template1, can there be a template2/3/4?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 11:16:40AM -0400, Jim Mercer wrote:
> would it be possible for me to create a template2 and have some arbitrary
> database use it instead of template1?
>
> the reason i ask this is that it would be useful to have something to the
> effect of:
>
> database access startup for "sample" database.
>
> if exists sample_cat database, use it instead of template1
> otherwise use template1
>
> this way "sample" could have its own set of users, permissions, etc, etc.
>
> it would be a method for getting around the fact that a user in template1
> has access to all of the other databases, modulo per-database permissions
> via GRANT/REVOKE
>
> does this make any sense?

as has already been discussed, template1 is basically the
default template to copy when creating a new database.

as for which relations are system-wide (versus
database-specific) check for files in
/var/lib/postgres/data/pg_*:

    pg_control
    pg_database
    pg_geqo
    pg_group
    pg_group_name_index
    pg_group_sysid_index
    pg_hba.conf
    pg_ident.conf
    pg_log
    pg_pwd
    pg_pwd.reload
    pg_shadow
    pg_variable

(note that some of those are conf files, not db relations...)

all the other 'system' tables ARE database-specific
and thus reside in their respective subdirectories at
/var/lib/postgres/data/base/<databasename>/pg_*

#95: We are waking up and linking to each other. We are watching. But
we are not waiting.  -- www.cluetrain.com

will@serensoft.com