Re: Updating views - Mailing list pgsql-general

From DaVinci
Subject Re: Updating views
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 11:12:56PM +0200, Rasmus Resen Amossen wrote:
> If I add a "where" clause on my views, I can't insert or update them
> anymore. Why?
>
> Example:
> CREATE TABLE temp (a int);
> CREATE VIEW tview AS SELECT a FROM temp WHERE a>10;
>
> INSERT INTO tview VALUES (13);
> ERROR:  Cannot update a view without an appropriate rule
>
> What is the appropriate rule?

 Problem is not 'where'. Views in Postgresql doesn't allows you insert,
 update or delete unless you define especila rules that explain Postgresql
 what to do in each case.

 Look Postgresql programming manual. You can see a few examples of rules in
 views.

 Greets.

             David