Re: show all; - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: show all;
Date
List pgsql-patches
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:18:54PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Care to add RESET ALL?
>
> What exactly should it do?  We have:
>
> 1) Compiled in default
> 2) postgres.conf / command line provided
> 3) through SET modified
>
> I guess it should reset to 2).  But is it possible to differ
> 2) and 3) values?
>
> Or should it reset only some subset of vars (eg currenlty
> variable.c special-cased?)  What variables should belog to
> that subset?

Good question and this brings up issues with SHOW.  Let's look at:

    SET ALL
    SHOW ALL
    RESET ALL

The first makes no sense.  The third is needed for persistent
connections.  Should RESET ALL also rollback any open transaction?  If
not, we have to keep our 'BEGIN;COMMIT;' hack in PHP to reset the
transaction state.  Do we eat an XID when we do that?

If we have SHOW ALL show things that are not SET-able, is it clear what
RESET ALL does?  Can I recommend SHOW ALL output two groups, one
SET-able, and the rest non-SET-able.  When I say SET-able, I mean
set-able by SET, not postgresql.conf.