Re: PL/pgSQL CURSOR support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PL/pgSQL CURSOR support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jan Wieck writes:
>
> >     There  is  no
> >     reason  other  than  that  we'll  have  more  PL  handlers to
> >     support,
>
> ... which is a pretty big reason ...
>
> >     why  we  shouldn't  have  two  or  three  different
> >     procedural  SQL dialects. All can coexist and only those used
> >     in your DB schema will get loaded.
>
> Or you can make one PL support alternative, non-conflicting dialects.

Hmmm,
   combining  it,  we  need a place to tell the language handler   about it's personality. So the handler  in
plpgsql.so could   serve  more  than  one  dialect  and just jump into different   gram.y path's. Note that it already
doeskinda that by faking   a first token telling if actually a function or trigger get's   compiled.

   Will sleep over that idea.

Jan