Re: PL/pgSQL CURSOR support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PL/pgSQL CURSOR support
Date
Re: PL/pgSQL CURSOR support  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Can someone comment on the use of FOR/IS in cursors?

   DECLARE  <name>  CURSOR IS <select_stmt> is the Oracle PL/SQL   syntax. Since PL/pgSQL was written from the  start
with one   eye  on  portability  from/to  Oracle, I'd like to stick with   that.

   It's relatively simple to just substitute  all  PLpgSQL  (and   other case combos) occurences by something else,
thenreplace   the gram.y and scan.l files with whatever you want and voila,   you come up with another procedural
languageas compatible as   possible to your formerly preferred  database.  There  is  no   reason  other  than  that
we'll have  more  PL  handlers to   support,  why  we  shouldn't  have  two  or  three  different   procedural  SQL
dialects.All can coexist and only those used   in your DB schema will get loaded.

Jan