Re: incomplete transaction keeps table locked? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric G. Miller
Subject Re: incomplete transaction keeps table locked?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 11:55:09AM -0400, George Herson wrote:
> But since i made the original post i rebooted my server and now i think
> that (a reboot) was also needed, as a couple of little things outside
> PHP/Apache/Posgresql (in Netscape, actually) are now working that were
> broken pre-boot.
>
> Is it true that when Linux needs a reboot it sometimes isn't obvious?
> That can be very dangerous from a time-spent-on-debugging point of
> view.  Are there any tests (eg, vmstat) that will quickly tell me when a
> reboot is a good idea?  (I'm more used to having to reboot in Windows,
> which of course succeeds in making it fairly obvious when your time is
> up. :)

Linux and most other *nix shouldn't ever "need" a reboot.  Probably all
that was needed was to restart the various services.  If you upgrade
php, for instance, without restarting Apache, Apache will probably still
be referencing the earlier version of the php shared library.  Files aren't
really deleted until their reference count goes to zero.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>