Re: More pgindent follies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: More pgindent follies
Date
Re: More pgindent follies  (ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers))
List pgsql-hackers
> > I don't see the problem here.  My assumption is that the comment is not
> > part of the define, right?
>
> Well, that's the question.  ANSI C requires comments to be replaced by
> whitespace before preprocessor commands are detected/executed, but there
> was an awful lot of variation in preprocessor behavior before ANSI.
> I suspect there are still preprocessors out there that might misbehave
> on this input --- for example, by leaving the text "* end-of-string */"
> present in the preprocessor output.  Now we still go to considerable
> lengths to support not-quite-ANSI preprocessors.  I don't like the idea
> that all the work done by configure and c.h in that direction might be
> wasted because of pgindent carelessness.

I agree, but in a certain sense, we would have found those compilers
already.  This is not new behavour as far as I know, and clearly this
would throw a compiler error.

Pennsylvania19026