Re: Re: perl vs php for postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: Re: perl vs php for postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
The types of problems that John is having are quite
likely to persist with PHP, as his problems aren't so
much in programming with Perl, as it seems to be with
compiling the requisite Perl modules.  I haven't used
PHP since PHP3, but if I remember correctly it was a
lot more difficult to build a version of Apache that
had a PostgreSQL compatible PHP module than it was to
build DBD:Pg.

John, if you really are trying to build the Perl
module for PostgreSQL you need to get "DBD::Pg"  (not
DBM::Pg).  You will also need the DBI module.  Both of
these can be found on CPAN, and the instructions are
pretty complete (feel free to email me with specific
questions).

I would also second Craig's endorsement of PHP.  It is
exceptionally easy to use, and it performs well
without having to learn to use mod_perl (I prefer Zope
and Python, but that's another story).  The cool thing
about Perl, on the other hand, is that you can use it
for your system adminstration tasks as well (yes, PHP
can be used from the command line, but there is no
better glue language than Perl).  I find myself using
it very frequently for tasks such as importing data
into PostgreSQL and exporting data from PostgreSQL for
use somewhere else.

--- Craig Orsinger