Re: 2GB file size limit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: 2GB file size limit
Date
Re: 2GB file size limit  (teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød))
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 09:31:13PM -0400, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hello all,
>     I upgraded from kernel 2.2.18 (Slakcware7.1 on x86) to 2.4.4 only to find out that I will still not get LFS due
tomy glibc2.1.3.
>     My question is the following: I know people have reported DBs larger than 2GB, but is there any single file that
getslarger than 2GB? Can anyone make an estimate of what overall_DB_size will cause me to hit the 2GB-filesize limit?
>     Any ideas how to work around this other than upgrading glibc or changing OS or architecture? Having survived
throughSlackware evolution, I bet it'll be the last to adopt any changes in the field *sigh*

PostgreSQL works around the (ah hem) silly limits of
the (silly?) Linux kernel.
You could use FreeBSD and not worry about it all, or just not worry about
it at all---either way, it won't be a problem.

:)

gh