Re: Cygwin plpython patch - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: Cygwin plpython patch
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Erny,

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:58:25AM +0200, Ernesto Revilla wrote:
> thanks again. Yes, I thought the patches had been applied yet to the PG CVS
> source tree.

Hopefully, they will be applied soon.

> Now I had to add the -L/usr/lib/python2.1/config -lpython2.1 again to the
> makefile but this was no problem.

The above should *not* be necessary.  Did you forget to configure
--with-python?  See attached for the output of my make.

> Also the -lpostgres option appeard again.

Good that is one of things that my patch fixes.

> Compiling gives still a lot of warnings but I'm very happy 'cause now it
> works as expected.

I get lots of warnings too as you can see from my make output.  Note
that I get the same warnings under Linux too.

> Also, whenever I recompile postgres it stops in the
> interface/python because MS_WIN32 is not defined. They should put something
> like 'cygwin' or define this in the global Makefile.

The above is solved by my first patch -- the one for pgmodule.  I had
assumed that you had already applied it.  You can find it here:

    http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=117271

> What do you think, will Python have a good future for writing trigger
> functions?

Sorry, I'm not qualified to answer the above, but I hope so.

> Still another question. I was not able to apply the patch from inside the
> src directory. The patcher said that the file was now found (e.g.
> makefiles/Makefile.win). I run 'patch -p2 <plpython.patch'. You can see that
> I'm very ignorant and not very used to work with these tools. In fact, I did
> the patches manually. This was not too difficult.

I should have included patch instructions but I was lazy.

To apply plpython.patch perform the following:

    $ # save patch to /tmp/plpython.patch
    $ cd src
    $ patch -p0 </tmp/plpython.patch

To apply pgpy.patch perform the following:

    $ # save patch to /tmp/pgpy.patch
    $ cd src/interfaces/python
    $ patch </tmp/pgpy.patch

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235