pgsql/src include/access/hio.h backend/access/ ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql/src include/access/hio.h backend/access/ ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    tgl@hub.org    01/05/16 18:35:13

Modified files:
    src/include/access: hio.h
    src/backend/access/heap: hio.c heapam.c

Log message:
    Repair race condition introduced into heap_update() in 7.1 ---
    PageGetFreeSpace() was being called while not holding the buffer lock, which
    not only could yield a garbage answer, but even if it's the right answer there
    might be less space available after we reacquire the buffer lock.

    Also repair potential deadlock introduced by my recent performance improvement
    in RelationGetBufferForTuple(): it was possible for two heap_updates to try to
    lock two buffers in opposite orders.  The fix creates a global rule that
    buffers of a single heap relation should be locked in decreasing block number
    order.  Currently, this only applies to heap_update; VACUUM can get away with
    ignoring the rule since it holds exclusive lock on the whole relation anyway.
    However, if we try to implement a VACUUM that can run in parallel with other
    transactions, VACUUM will also have to obey the lock order rule.