Foreign key constraints on inherited columns, 2 errors. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject Foreign key constraints on inherited columns, 2 errors.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Stephen Deasey (sdeasey@bigfoot.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Foreign key constraints on inherited columns, 2 errors.

Long Description
Using the Postgres 7.1.1 RPMs I typed the following into psql:

=# create table foo (foo integer);
CREATE
=# create table bar (bar integer) inherits(foo);
CREATE
=# create table baz (baz integer references bar(foo));
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
ERROR:  UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table "bar" not found

I think this is incorrect, and it is not the behaviour I was seeing with version 7.0.3 where it worked as expected.

HOWEVER...

I upgraded to 7.1.1 in the first place hoping to fix the following problem:  The above defined tables load correctly.
Tablebar has data loaded into the inherited columns from foo, which can clearly be seen when selecting using the 'from
bar*'syntax. When inserting into baz the referential constraint kicks in complaining there is no matching value in bar.
Theconstraint trigger is not checking up the hierarchy of inherited columns.

Sorry I can't give the exact error mesage now, I blew away the old installation.

Thanks!

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report