Re: sql question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: sql question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 06:45:05PM +0000, u95886230@spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net wrote:
> I have a table with 3 columns: Account# ,OrderType and date
> example of data:
> Account#    ¦   Ordertype  ¦ Date
> 1           ¦   A          ¦ April
> 1           ¦   B          ¦ May
> 1           ¦   B          ¦ May
> 2           ¦   B          ¦ April
> 2           ¦   B          ¦ May
> 2           ¦   C          ¦ May
> 3           ¦   C          ¦ May
>

> I need to write a select that will show me the totals of EACH type for EACH account AND
> total ordersplaced for a SPECIFIC month eg..Show me the results for May...
>
> account ¦ TotA  ¦ TotB  ¦ TotC  ¦ Total
> 1       ¦ 0     ¦ 2     ¦ 0     ¦ 2
> 2       ¦ 0     ¦ 1     ¦ 1     ¦ 2
> 3       ¦ 0     ¦ 0     ¦ 1     ¦ 1
>
> I can use temp tables, but need a solution written as basic as pssible so I can understand
> it (all in the form select this from that)
> any help would be fantastic as I am completely stuck and have been trying for about a week

don't you hate that? :)

sql is not like perl or basic in that you can start this over
here, assign a variable, break your output into chunks and do
various voodoo to it before it comes out. all sql does is ask
for records from a database, to return them in a certain order
or in certain groups.

    select city,state,count(id),sum(id)
        from mycontacts
        group by state,city;

that'll show you something like

    chicago     il    12   345
    evanston    il    3    121
    springfield il    9    208
    evansville  in    5    184
    jasper      in    4    166
    terre haute in    6    201
    henderson   ky    5    190
    louisville  ky    8    124

if you're pulling those results into a program (php? perl?) then
you can do interesting things such as output a break on state
boundaries to compute state subtotals, and so forth.

of course, there are devious individuals out there who don't
know how to play by the rules and they make sql do some amazing
handsprings. but those people are not much fun at parties.
(and seldom attend, anyway.)

--
What do I need manners for? I already got me a wife.
    -- Adam Pontipee, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers"

will@serensoft.com