Re: Which Front End for Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Per-Olof Pettersson
Subject Re: Which Front End for Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

As you might have figured out Postgresql is merely a server. (And some
client code too).
You have to find programs that do the input-forms, reports....

I tend to use Apache and PHP for these tasks.
It works like ASP for Windows (but better in my opinion).

PostgreSQL is not like eg Access for Windows.
Access for windows has two parts.
1. The database engine
2. Application support/development/applications/dataview/query-windows...

PostgreSQL is only 1. the Database engine.
Though there is a command-line-based client "psql".
And some administrative tools (also commandline) like initdb.

As for Operating-system I'd recommend a good Linux-distribution.
There are quite a few (and I really dont like anyone of them too much ;-)
Personally use Slackware. Debian is said to be good too.

Redhat is sort of an industry-standard beqause it is relatively easy to
configure but I would personally not recommend it for a Server-OS.

As for the choice of filesystem.
ext2 (which most linux use) has somewhat poorer performance on
character-writing than eg UFS (which FreeBSD use) but I think the
programmers on PostgreSQL have solved this with good caching and
block-writing-routines ;-)

Best of luck
Per-Olof Pettersson

On 2001-05-16, 04:08:06, bscinc2000@yahoo.comNOSPAM (Al Frick) wrote
regarding Which Front End for Postgresql: