Re: Re: Not a PG question: SCSI question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: Re: Not a PG question: SCSI question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 03:40:40AM +0000, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hi
>
> Just a little miss I think John did.
> With PHP you dont have to start a new connection everytime.
> You can use the good ole pg_pconnect. It is a persistant connection to
> the server.
> The server keeps a pool of connections open for fast access.

This should not be mistaken as connection pooling, per se.
Persistent connections maintain a PostgreSQL backend for each unique
account connecting per httpd process.

3 unique accounts -> 3 backends per httpd.
10 httpd's -> 30 backends.

> There has been some problems with this so I recommend PHP 4.0.5.
> It is, among other things, a matter of issuing a rollback at the end of
> the request on each page.

I second this, or at least patching your sources and reinstalling if you
plan to move to persistent connections under a non-new version of PHP. I
have wasted much first-hand time debugging silly PHP connection messes.

Cheers,
dan

> Best regards
> Per-Olof Pettersson

*snip*

> > But one of the greatest bottlenecks that may not be so obvious...  Is a
> > rather simple one...;-)  Each time you try to do an insert to your
> > PostgreSQL database from your PHP application, you have to initialize a
> > new connection...;-)

*snip*

> > Cheers,
>
> > John Clark

*snip original message*

> > --
> >      /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
> >     / )    Software Design Engineer II                       ( \
> >   _( (_    _  Web-Application Development                    _) )_
> >  (((\ \>  /_>    Cable Modem Network Management System <_\  </ /)))
> >  (\\\\ \_/ /         NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc.  \ \_/ ////)
> >    \    _/  phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3112            \_    /
> >    /   /  cellphone: (+63 919) 399-4742                     \   \
> >   /   / email: njclark@ntsp.nec.co.jp                        \   \

Wow, remember, it is not the size of the .sig that makes the wave; it is
the motion of the ocean. Nine lines? pshaw.