Re: Cygwin plpython patch - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: Cygwin plpython patch
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Erny,

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:27:15AM +0200, Ernesto Revilla wrote:
> 1. I downloaded all plpython files from CVS, including Makefile
> 2.     "  and installed the global Makefile (Makefile.global) and the
> configure script.
> 3.     "  and installed the Win.h of the src/backend/port/dynloader and
> other files
> this all is under 7.1.1 CVS version
>
> When I do a make, plpython does not compile, because:
> 1. plpython is not automatically included in the make process

The automatic building of plpython is not enabled yet.  From
src/pl/Makefile, we have:

    # Doesn't build portably yet.
    #ifeq ($(with_python), yes)
    #DIRS += plpython
    #endif

Hence, you will have to cd to src/pl/plpython and run make manually.

> 2. for strange reasons -lpostgres is not included in the dllwrap command
> line. (I did a new ./configure --with-python and make clean before
> beginning).
> 3. dllwrap (or dlltool) complains that there are references to unknown
> symbols: _Py_NoneStruct, _Py_TrueStruct, PyString_Type, PyType_type, and 2
> others. This is because it uses /usr/lib/python2.1/config/libpython2.1.dll.a
> which seems not to define these symbols. So I change this and link it
> against /bin/libpython.2.1.dll (this is where it is installed by default).
> Now the linker runs fine, without any error or warning.
>
> 4. When I create the language (absolute reference to /lib/plpython.dll) and
> I run a testproc something like 'CREATE FUNCION kk() RETURNS int4 AS 'return
> 1' LANGUAGE 'plpython'; the server process crashes.
>
> Any ideas?

Did you forget to apply my patch?  I have only submitted it to
pgsql-patches, it has not been accepted into CVS.  Without my patch you
would get errors like the above.  With my patch, plpython should build
OOTB -- you should not have to do unrecommended things like #3 above.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235