Re: State of PL/Python build - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From andrew@corvus.biomed.brown.edu (Andrew Bosma)
Subject Re: State of PL/Python build
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 02:46:45PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > We already know about the libpython (not-)shared library issue.  As it
> > turns out, not only is libpython generally not a shared library, there
> > isn't even a designed in way to make one.
>
> Ugh.  Can we get the Python boys to raise their level of concern about
> that?

I looked through Python's configure script, and it appears that the
default is to build as a shared library.

> The real problem is that on systems where non-PIC code can't be used to
> build a shared library, the whole thing will not work at all.  As with
> plperl, it'd be nice if we could detect this at configure time.

Python versions greater than 1.5.2 ship with the distutils module, it
can be used to detect if python was built with a shared library.  Is
there anyway to detect whether non-PIC code can be used in a shared
library?

Andrew