Re: pgsql/src/bin/initdb Makefile initdb.sh - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql/src/bin/initdb Makefile initdb.sh
Date
List pgsql-committers
> Bruce Momjian - CVS <momjian@hub.org> writes:
> >     Allow SHELL in Makefile.* to control initdb.
>
> Waste of time, Bruce.  By my count, our distribution contains sixty-five
> other shell scripts with hard-wired "#! /bin/sh", most of which are not
> being passed through any autoconfiguration step.  Foremost on the list
> is configure itself.  It's going to be rather difficult to autoconfigure
> anything if /bin/sh doesn't work.
>
> I would suggest reverting this change, since there's no point in having
> initdb work differently from all our other shellscripts.  I agree with
> Doug McNaught that any system where /bin/sh isn't a Bourne shell is
> not Unix.

I understand, but why is SHELL set in Makefile.ultrix, and how did they
get far enough for initdb?  Someone must have played with this long ago.

My guess is that he somehow he overrode SHELL in configure, perhaps by
setting CONFIG_SHELL:

    SHELL=${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh}

If I back out the patch, I would remove the SHELL from Makefile.ultrix.
If initdb is Ultrix's only problem, seems we are OK keeping it.  Any
other problems and I would discard the patch.