Re: Dead locks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alfred Perlstein
Subject Re: Dead locks
Date
List pgsql-general
* Aristide Aragon <aristide@lionking.org> [010506 17:40] wrote:
> Hello
> This question isn't about deadlocks, instead, it's about something
> I've been wondering because of a program I'm doing that uses locks.

> My progrm uses begin and commit (or rollback) and locks a table
> in exclusive mode. What'd happen if the program unexpectedly died?
> How would the database recover from a lock without a commit or
> rollback? Would the database release the lock automatically, would
> it be in deadlock or would I have to release it by hand, and if so
> how?

Please wrap lines at 70 characters.

The database _should_ detect that the client has died because the
database connection is usually a stream socket which notifies end
points of disconnect/timeout.  Once it detects that it _should_ be
able to abort the current transaction and as part of that drop any
locks held in that transaction.

It _should_ but I'm not sure it does.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]