Re: Would you do this? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Tomblin
Subject Re: Would you do this?
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Christian Marschalek (cm@chello.at):
> I'm on a project that deals with a users database... Every user gets a
> id assigned. If he cancles his account, the next user to register will
> get his id. Would you do this? Or just let there be gaps between user
> ids?
>
> I guess just using a serial data type and don't care about gaps is the
> fastest way...

Depends what you're using the ids for, but I'd recycle them when you need
to recycle, not immediately.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets.