Re: Accounting Schema - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: Accounting Schema
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 07:09:13PM -0400, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone out there with more experience than me give me some hints as to
> how to do accounting tables in a db. The problem I am wrestling with is how
> to represent credits, and debits.
> One way is to identify credits and debits with a transactiontype, and keep
> all of the numbers positive which models the way accountants do it. This
> makes things liking calculating the balance difficult with a sql statement.

Keep in mind that what is in the database and what the user sees do not
have to be the same...
You could store the values in the database as positive or negative
convert them to all positives (with a determined "transaction type")
accordingly for display.

gh