Bug #307 resolved (concerned timestamp problems) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject Bug #307 resolved (concerned timestamp problems)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Bob Soeters (bob@iway.nl) reports a bug with a severity of 4

Short Description
Bug #307 resolved (concerned timestamp problems)

Long Description
I was experiencing timestamp problems using versions of PostgreSQL below 7.1 (I've been using 6.5 & 7.0.3).

This has been resolved by completing the upgrade to 7.1.

It turned out that I had been running psql from version 7.1 but the backend of a version < 7.1 (7.0.3 to be precise).

Here's the original reply I posted to Thomas Lockhart:

I'm truly sorry about this, shouldn't have posted that bug report, since it was me, after a little research.

I run the Mandrake 7.1 distribution, which was equipped with PostgreSQL 6.5, or so I believe. I then upgraded to 7.0.3,
throughsome Mandrake specific RPMs. All was well. I noticed the timestamp error in that version, because I wrote a
littlePerl DBI exercise and found out that I couldn't insert the timestamp as I had gotten it from the backend,
directly.It said "Bad external representation". After overlooking it for a couple of hours (!), I finally saw that the
numberof seconds were out of range, it was displayed
as 2001-04-29 00:00:60.00+02.

I then looked in the bugtool database, and saw other users that had the same problem. Also, using functions like date()
onthe timestamp seemed to make matters worse, adding a day or even a month to the actual inserted timestamp value upon
output.I then decided to upgrade to the new PG 7.1 release, from source. So I built it, and thought I had installed it
correctlyall the way.
I found out that the old backend was still running though, so there was now a mix-up of versions. Since I corrected
that,I've seen no trouble anymore with the timestamps.

Sorry for wasting your valuable time with this faulty bugreport, I should've tested more carefuly. Further, I want to
complimentthe development team, another great job done with version 7.1, I'm hooked. Keep up the good work.

Bob
<<<

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report