Re: VACUUM is hanging - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ashley Clark
Subject Re: VACUUM is hanging
Date
Re: Re: VACUUM is hanging  (Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org>)
List pgsql-general
* Tom Lane in "Re: VACUUM is hanging" dated 2001/05/04 22:05 wrote:

> > I also seem to have found the culprit. I have Apache::DBI set up
> > and it's holding something open. Restarting Apache let the vacuum
> > finish normally.
>
> Try not to leave open transactions hanging around in your Apache
> code. An idle database connection couldn't block VACUUM like that;
> it'd have to have been in the middle of a BEGIN block, or maybe even
> an unfinished query.

That appears to be the culprit. I don't really understand why an
uncommitted SELECT statement could/should lock the table though. How
does that differ from just an open transaction where no query has
happened yet?

--
chalk slayer

Attachment