Re: decimal point - european format - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: decimal point - european format
Date
List pgsql-general
carex wrote:
  > Hello,
  >
  > I am from Belgium (Europe) and this is my problem with postgres:
  >
  >   SET DATESTYLE TO 'ISO';
  >
  > Ok, that's what I want for the date  (2001-04-29)
  > but the format for the floating point number is not correct.
  >
  >   1.05 should be 1,05
  >
  > How do I solve this ???

You need to set your locale; presumably it would be something like
fr_BE (if you're a French speaker - I don't know what it is for Flemish).
Locale needs to be set for both backend and frontend.

export LANG=fr_BE

(obviously you need locale support in your operating system and C library)

Warning: locales affect the sort order of indexes, so you need to
set locale before you run initdb.  If you already have, dump, set locale,
initdb and reload.

In 7.1, you can use contrib/pg_controldata to see what the backend's
locale is, and the locale cannot be changed except by destroying the
database and running initdb again.  In 7.0, the locale had to be set
each time the postmaster was started.

     "Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but
      be willing to associate with people of low position.
      Do not be conceited."            Romans 12:16