Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen C. Tweedie
Subject Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 01:49:54PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Performance doing what?  XFS has known performance problems doing
> > unlinks and truncates, but not synchronous IO.  The user should be
> > using fdatasync() for databases, btw, not fsync().
>
> This is hugely helpful.  In PostgreSQL 7.1, we do use fdatasync() by
> default it is available on a platform.

Good --- fdatasync is defined in SingleUnix, so it's probably safe to
probe for it and use it by default if it is there.

The 2.2 Linux kernel does not have fdatasync implemented, but glibc
will fall back to fsync if that's all that the kernel supports.  2.4
implements both with the required semantics.

--Stephen