Re: Another upgrade question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Another upgrade question
Date
List pgsql-general
Michelle Murrain wrote:
  >Again, I'm upgrading my Postgresql installation from a 6.5 Debian package, t
  >a 7.1 tarball on a Debian potato box.
  >
  >Everything has gone fairly smoothly (I had to restore each db individually -
      >
  >restoring a dump-all didn't work), except for one thing. My php scripts have
      >
  >now broken. Luckily, we're doing most everything using perl-cgi, and all of
  >that is fine. But php isn't working. We've got the debian php4 packages
  >installed (including php4-pgsql)
  >
  >The error I get is:
  >Warning:  Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:  connectDB() -- connect()
  >failed: Connection refused
  >Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
  >socket '5432'? This is the standard error if php can't find the postmaster.

The php packages probably expect to find the socket in the Debian location:
/var/run/postgresql, since they will be linked with the Debian package
libpgsql2.1.  Either rebuild them as well, or create a dummy libpgsql2.1
package that points to your own version, or make a symlink from that
directory to /tmp.

     "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.
      Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your
      hearts, ye double minded."        James 4:8