Re: well, now i wish we hadn't gutted the ipv6 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Paul A Vixie
Subject Re: well, now i wish we hadn't gutted the ipv6 support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> AFAIK we never actually *had* IPV6 support in those datatypes, only
> stubs for it.

the inet_net_pton implementation that was brought in from BIND had its
IPv6 portions scrubbed.  micro-over-optimization of the contributed
"bitncmp" caused the "ipv4 as int" assumption to reoccur.  i'm going to
have to put it back to BIND-standard as much as possible.  presumably
as long as the on-disk format is compatible (such that old databases can
be both read and written by the new code) none of that will be objectionable.

> A patch to bring it up to full speed would be gladly accepted...

thanks for the invitation, i'll start work on it right now.