Re: persistent connections, AOLserver (Was: [SQL] maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?) - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Roberto Mello
Subject Re: persistent connections, AOLserver (Was: [SQL] maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?)
Date
List pgsql-php
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 05:37:27PM +0200, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> Ah, very interesting indeed! I've been meaning to look into this for
> quite a while but never had the time to really play with it. Are you
> using PHP/AOLserver in a production environment? Did you have any
> problems, crashes, etc.? And, most importantly, how _does_ it work with
> persistent connections? Does AOLserver open a connection for each
> request/thread it creates?

    I am not in production yet. Only development. As soon as I am further
down, I'll use ab to test how it handles high load.
    AOLserver itself opens a connection per thread, and it very
intelligently gives that same connection to other threads as they need it
and as soon as the curret one is done using it. It's lots faster than PHP.
    PHP running under AOLserver is another story. In that case AOLserver
does nothing to the connections, it just passes the requests to PHP and
let it deal with it. Since AOLserver is a single process, on which the PHP
module is running, my feeling is that the concurrency/transactions
problem won't exist, since there are no child processes.

> AFAIK the problem is somehow rooted in the fact that PHP folks up until
> very recently used to have a strong MySQL bias, which doesn't (or
> didn't, until very recently) have proper transaction support. Hence they
> didn't really consider this scenario.

    Big mistake of the PHP team IMHO. I for one, didn't even consider using
PHP due to their bias towards a clearly deficient product. It made PHP as
a whole look just as deficient.

    -Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+