Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hi Bruce,
>
> My thought on this is more for an "overall effect".
>
> Down The Track (i.e. in a few versions or so) I'm thinking, rightly or
> wrongly, that PostgreSQL will become Very Good at tuning itself.
>
> It would be a good thing if PostgreSQL could know just how fair it can
> play in regards to the server it's working on.

OK, what options would you recommend be auto-tuned in each circumstance?
I can imagine open files and maybe sortmemory, but even then, other
backends can affect the proper value.  Share memory usually has a kernel
limit which prevents us from auto-tuning that too much.

Pennsylvania19026