Re: Re: RC3 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mathijs Brands
Subject Re: Re: RC3 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 09:23:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian allegedly wrote:
> > > Thomas, will you be doing .pdf files? I have had requests to put that
> > > in the Debian documentation package.
> >
> > afaik, I don't have the means to generate pdf directly. Pointers would
> > be appreciated, if there are mechanisms available on Linux boxes.
> >
> > We have had lots of offers of help for these conversions, so when the
> > hardcopy is ready we can ask someone to convert from there. OK?
>
> Can you use ps2pdf to generate PDF?  It is a utility that comes with
> ghostscript.  I know versions >= 6.0 are fine.

PDF files generated from postscript with Adobe Acrobat are usually of
much higher quality than those generated by ghostscript. It seems that
ghostscript encodes rendered (bitmaps) documents, while Acrobat generates
PDF files of a quality similar to the original postscript documents.

You would definately have much hihger quality PDF files if someone with
access to Acrobat would step forward. Too bad Acrobat is soo expensive :(

Regards,

Mathijs
--
It's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language
rewards idiotic behavior in a way that no other language or tool has