Re: Re: RC3 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Re: RC3 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > That strikes me as an awfully web-centric view of things.  Not everyone
> > > has an always-on high-speed Internet link.
> > >
> > > If you want to make the docs and TODO.detail be a separate chunk of the
> > > split distribution, that's fine with me.  But I don't agree with
> > > removing them from the full tarball.
> > >
> > > OTOH, if Marc was only thinking of removing the pre-built docs from the
> > > tarball, I don't object to that.  I'm not sure why those weren't
> > > distributed as separate tarballs from the get-go.  I just say that the
> > > doc sources are part of the source distribution...
> >
> > But, why?  That sounds like a highly DSL-centric view of things *grin*  If
> > someone really wants docs, what hurts a second GET ftp call?
>
> A major issue is that we don't regenerate docs for 7.1.1 or later, so
> the 7.1 docs carry for all the 7.1.X releases.  That would seem to argue
> for a separate tarball for docs so people don't redownload the docs
> again for 7.1.1.

Okay, unless someone can come up with a really good argument *for* why
docs has to be included as part of the main tar file, I'm going to change
the distributin generating script so that it generates a .src.tar.gz file
seperate from the .doc.tar.gz file, which will make .src.tar.gz ~6Meg
instead of the 8meg we are currently forcing ppl to download ...

Peter E, is there anything part of the configure/make procedure that
*requires* pgsql/doc to be there else it will break?  If so, can you
possibly put it as a test "if docs exists, deal with it, else ignore"?