Re: Re: RC3 ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: RC3 ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Can you use ps2pdf to generate PDF?  It is a utility that comes with
> > ghostscript.  I know versions >= 6.0 are fine.
>
> PDF files generated from postscript with Adobe Acrobat are usually of
> much higher quality than those generated by ghostscript. It seems that
> ghostscript encodes rendered (bitmaps) documents, while Acrobat generates
> PDF files of a quality similar to the original postscript documents.
>
> You would definately have much hihger quality PDF files if someone with
> access to Acrobat would step forward. Too bad Acrobat is soo expensive :(

This is only true of ghostscript version <6.0.  Pre-6.0 could only
encode non-bitmapped fonts if they were the standard Adobe 35.  6.0 and
later do full curve rendering for all fonts, at least they should.  My
book PDF's that were used to print certainly were not bitmapped fonts.
I have tons of PDF's on my web site, and none use bitmapped fonts.  All
used ghoscript 6.01.

Pennsylvania19026